What is Application Insights, and why is it awful?
Hey, maybe for some people it's not a terrible time suck. Maybe for some people, it's providing value. How many ways has it sucked up my time so far? Let me count the ways:
- When I made my Windows App, Microsoft not very helpfully added a reference to it in the project. I spent time to understand what it was (it is supposed to send up "telemetry" to some dashboard somewhere). I decided to keep it because I didn't want to offend the Awful Scary Microsoft Monsters.
- When I got scary email saying that I'm about to spend hundreds of dollars a month to get some alleged insights because Microsoft decided that hosting a ton of data was expensive, and they didn't want to foot the bill forever. Luckily my actual usage is almost nothing (I think).
- When my updated projects simply refused to compile. Except when they did compile. But they never compile when I'm making an app store
- And just now, when I finally ripped off the bandage, and remove the Application Insights packages from my app.
- Oh, and while I'm at it, I figured that I might as well look and see what awesome insights the Application Insights is giving me. I turns out that whatever data has been sent up is gone; when I go to my Azure Portal, there's a grand total of no data at all, or even a hint that any data has ever been sent up
Total wastage: too much.